Tom Aiken's Scallops with Sauce Vierge
- 1/3 cup plus 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 banana shallots, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup fish stock
- 4 San Marzano tomatoes, chopped into ½-in dice
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- Coarse sea salt and pepper
- 4 extra large scallops
- 1 tsp butter
- To Prepare the Sauce: In a large sauté pan, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil over low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté until the shallots are tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Next, add the fish stock and reduce the liquid by two-thirds. Once the stock is reduced, add 1/3 cup of olive oil, the tomatoes, and the lemon juice and allow the sauce to simmer gently for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the basil, chives, and tarragon. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- To Prepare the Scallops: While the sauce is simmering heat the remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil in a sauté pan over high heat. Add the scallops and cook for 1 minute on each side, then add the butter and toss the scallops in the butter until they are golden all over.
- To Serve: Place the scallops into 2 bowls and spoon the sauce over them.