Suzanne Goin's Italian Broccoli with Garlic, Shallots, & Chilli
- 2 ½ tbsp plus 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ lbs baby Italian broccoli
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 gloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 chili d’arbol, thinly sliced on the bias
- Bring 1 gallon water to a rolling boil with 2 ½ tbsp of salt. Blanch the broccoli for 1 to 2 minutes until just al dente, then cool on a platter or sheet pan (baking tray).
- Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan over high heat. Add the garlic, shallots, thyme, and chili. Cook for a few minutes until the shallots are translucent and just starting to caramelize. Add the broccoli and 1 tsp of salt. Toss or stir well so that the shallots do not brown.
- Add the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil and sauté for 2 minutes, tossing often. Season the broccoli with the remaining 1 tsp of salt.