Martha Ortiz's Nationalistic Guacamole
- 6 tablespoons chopped white onion
- 11 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 10 ounces avocado flesh
- About 2 cups chopped cilantro
- 5 tablespoons de-seeded and chopped Serrano chiles, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon requeson
- 2 pieces dried chile de arbol, fried
- Homemade totopos (fried tortilla chips)
- Combine the onion and lime juice in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes to “mellow” the onion. Drain and set the onion aside.
- Carefully mash the avocado in a bowl or molcajete.
- Blend in the cilantro, the mellowed onion, and the Serrano chiles. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve the guacamole in an eye-catching dish and garnish with the pomegranate seeds, requeson, and chile de arbol.
- Serve with homemade totopos for dipping.