Daniel Humm's Pan Roasted Lobster with Potato Chips Tarragon
Serves 4 Lobster:
- 2 whole 1 1/12 lb lobsters
- 1 tablespoon Creme Fraiche
- 1 tablespoon lobster coral
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
- canola oil
- 1 pound butter
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon picked tarragon, loosely packed
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- tarragon sprigs
- 1 lemon wedge
- Lobster: Using the tip of your knife pierce the head of the lobster and cut it in half lengthwise. Clean out any of the stomach, reserving the coral. Trim away any of the legs. Remove the claws and knuckles from the body and crack them with the edge of your knife. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the coral and the Creme Fraiche. Season the lobster with salt and spread the coral mixture on the lobster.
- Potato Chips: Bring 2 quarts water and the salt to a boil in a saucepan. In the meantime, slice the potatoes on a mandolin into paper-thin slices. Place the slices in a large bowl, and pour the boiling water over them. Allow to cool to room temperature. In a large saucepan, bring the oil to 325 degrees F. Remove the slices from the water, pat dry, and fry in batches until crisp, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and cool to room temperature.
- Tarragon Butter: Allow the butter to soften at room temperature in a large mixing bowl. Blanch 2 cups of picked tarragon for 10 to 15 seconds in a large pot of salted boiling water and shock in ice water. Remove from the ice water and transfer to a blender. Blend on high with a tablespoon of ice water to make a puree. Strain through a chinois. Using a spatula, combine the tarragon puree with the butter until fully emulsified. Chop the remaining tablespoon of fresh tarragon and incorporate. Season with salt to taste.
- To Finish: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Heat the butter in a large sauté pan until it begins to foam. Add the cracked knuckles and claws to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes turning frequently. Add the brushed lobster tails, flesh side down and sauté for 1 minute. Flip the lobster and transfer the pan into the oven and roast for 2 1/2 minutes more until the lobster is done. Remove the pan from the oven and add the fresh tarragon. Squeeze fresh lemon over the lobster and add the potato chips to the pan, coating them in the sauce. Serve with tarragon butter.