Paul Bartolotta's Spaghetti Alle Vongole (Spaghetti with Clams)
- 8 ounces thick spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 pound manila clams (about 30)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until translucent but not browned.
- Add the clams, pepper flakes, and wine and cook until the alcohol has evaporated and reduced by half and the clams steam open.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it and add to the clams. Toss gently, adding the parsley and the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to finish.
- Season with salt to taste and serve hot.