Michelle Bernstein's Potato and Apple Pancakes
Makes about 5 pancakes
- 1 lb/450g russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cored
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 Cup/55g flour
- Salt and black pepper
- Canola oil for frying
- Crème frâiche (optional)
- Caviar (optional)
- Shred the potatoes and apple together in a food processor, working quickly to avoid discoloration. Place the mixture in a colander or strainer and press with a spatula to remove any excess liquid.
- Put the mixture into a bowl and add the egg and flour. Mix well, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Spoon the batter into the pan to create the desired-size pancakes, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook until the pancakes are crisp and golden on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, top the pancakes with crème frâiche and caviar.