Mary-Louise Parker's Swedish Fruit Soup
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 cups dried pitted plums
- 5 or 6 sliced granny smith apples
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- brown sugar
- apple cider
- toasted sliced almonds (for topping)
- Combine fruit and spices in a pot. Cover with a mixture of half apple cider and half water. Add a few tablespoons of rum if desired. Add brown sugar to desired sweetness, the fruit is already sweet so taste as you go.
- Bring to a gentle boil and let simmer for a good long while.
- Turn off heat and cover. If more liquid is needed because it is absorbed by the fruit add more. Test apples to make sure they are cooked but not soggy.
- Serve warm in bowls.
- Top with whipped cream and toasted sliced almonds