Lidia Bastianich's Peach Granita
- 2 Cups/470 ml Water
- 1 Pound/450g unpeeled ripe peaches
- 1/3 Cup/75g Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons/30ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 Drop vanilla extract
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the peaches and sugar and simmer gently over low heat for 30 minutes. Allow the peaches to cool thoroughly in the liquid and pass contents of the pan through a fine-mesh strainer, scraping the solids to extract as much pulp as possible.
- Pour the strained liquid into a stainless steel or glass bowl and stir in the lemon juice and the vanilla extract.
- Freeze for 45 minutes to 1 hour, scraping the ice crystals that form around the edges into the center every 10 minutes with a spatula. The mixture should be of an even, grainy consistency when ready.
- To serve, scoop the granita into chilled serving glasses and garnish with mint leaves.