Joey Campanero’s Italian Wedding Soup
For the meatballs:
- 1/3 lb ground beef
- 1/3 lb ground pork
- 1/3 lb ground veal
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 Cup cold water
- 1/4 Cup grated Pecorino
- Chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
For the Soup:
- 1 Gallon Chicken Broth
- 2 Head of cleaned, chopped Escarole
- 1 Cup each of diced Carrot, Celery and Onion
- 1 Tbsp chopped Garlic
- Form small meatballs.
- In a large soup pot brown the meatballs, remove and reserve.
- Dump out the excess grease, but do not clean the pot. Then add the diced mirepoix and garlic. When fully cooked, add the chopped escarole and chicken broth.
- Simmer the soup for 30 minutes. Just before serving drop 1 beaten egg per serving into the hot soup.
- Garnish the soup with olive oil and grated Pecorino.