Heston Blumenthal's Roast Potatoes with Garlic & Rosemary
- 2 3/4 pounds Maris Piper potatoes
- Olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed with the blade of a knife
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes. Place them in a bowl and put them under running water for 5 minutes to wash the starch off.
- Transfer to a large saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until very soft and almost falling apart; drain gently into a colander and set aside to cool.
- Pour 1/4 inch of olive oil into a roasting pan large enough to hold the potatoes in a single layer. Add the potatoes and garlic to the pan and stir to coat them in the oil. Bake for at least 1 hour, gently turning every 20 minutes.
- After 1 hour, add the rosemary and thyme to the pan and return it to the oven until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy all over, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Drain them on paper towels and season with salt.