Bobby Flay's Cajun Burger
Serves 4 Rémoulade Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Frank’s RedHot sauce
- 5 cornichons, finely diced
- 2 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 slices (1/4-inch-thick) pepper Jack cheese
- 4 slices (1/4-inch-thick) tasso ham
- 4 buns, split and lightly toasted
- Frank’s RedHot sauce
To make the rémoulade sauce:
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, both mustards, hot sauce, cornichons, scallions, and parsley in a small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
To make the burgers:
- Stir together the paprika, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, and 2 teaspoons of black pepper in a small bowl.
- Form the meat into 4 patties. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Season one side of each patty with the spice mixture, making sure to rub the spices into the meat.
- In a cast-iron skillet or griddle pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat until smoking.
- Place the burgers in the pan and cook until slightly charred and the spices have formed a crust, about 1 1/2 minutes (be careful not to burn the spices.)
- Turn the burgers over, reduce the heat to medium, and cook to the desired doneness, about 5 minutes longer for medium-rare. During the last minute of cooking, add 1 slice of cheese to the top of each patty.
- Cover the pan or tent it with foil and cook until the cheese is completely melted. While the burgers are cooking, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Add the ham and cook until crisp on both sides, about 20 seconds per side. Remove it to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Spread some of the rémoulade sauce on the top and bottom of each bun. Transfer the burgers to the bottom buns, and top them with a slice of ham and a drizzle of hot sauce.
- Place the bun tops on top and serve immediately.