Biscotti di Vecchio's Toasted Almond with Lemon Zest Biscotti
- Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup chopped raw, unsalted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking liner, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add eggs, egg yolk and sugar, and beat until light yellow in color. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and almonds.
- With mixer on low speed, add the flour, salt and baking soda until combined and the dough appears moist (not wet) and clumps together. It should be moist to the touch but not sticky. Do not over beat.
- (Hint #1: It is best to remove dough from mixer when it is more wet than dry – as you can always add more flour as you knead it.)
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and using your hands, begin to knead the dough, adding flour if the dough is too sticky or wet at this point.
- Knead and form the dough into a rounded mound and divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a log about 8 to 10 inches long and about 2 to 3 inches in diameter.
- Transfer the logs to the baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until they are firm to the touch and lightly golden in color. Remove from the oven and let them cool for no longer than 2 minutes before cutting them with a serrated knife.
- (Hint #2: It is best to cut them while the logs are still warm.)
- Do NOT wait to cut them as they will break.
- Transfer the logs to a cutting board and cut the logs on the bias into 1-inch-thick slices. You should yield 6-8 biscotti per log depending on your desired cut.
- Turn the oven down to 300 degrees.
- Transfer the slices to the baking sheet and return them to the oven for the “second baking” for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy with your favorite espresso or dessert wine.