Mario Batali's Shrimp in Crazy Water
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped into ½-in dice
- 4 garlic gloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh hot chilies
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped into ½-in dice, fronds reserved
- 1 28-oz can tomatoes, crushed by hand, with juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- ½ cup seawater, or ½ cup water mixed with 1 tsp salt
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled, head and tail on
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a 6-qt soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat until smoking. Add the onion, garlic, chilies, and diced fennel and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, and water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until they are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, pour into a soup tureen and garnish with the fennel fronds.