Marco Canora’s Eggs in Tomato Sauce
- Four 1″ slices of country bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 4 large eggs
- 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- One 14 ounce can whole tomatoes with their juices, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- Preheat the broiler
- Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil.
- Arrange them on the baking sheet and broil for about three minutes, turning once until golden and toasted. Place the toasts in four shallow bowls.
- Arrange five small bowls on a counter.
- Crack the eggs: reserve two of the whites in one of the bowls and one yolk in each of the other four bowls.
- Refrigerate the remaining two egg whites for another use.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil with the garlic and crushed red pepper.
- Cook over moderate heat until the garlic is golden, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites with a fork and gently fold them into the tomato sauce. Cook over moderately high heat just until the whites are set, about 1 minute.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 4 indentations in the sauce. Slide a yolk into each indentation and cover the skillet.
- Cook over very low heat just until the yolks are warmed but not set, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce and yolks over the toasts, garnish with the oregano and serve right away.